Saturday is going to be a perfect day!! The 25th Annual Silver Comet 10k – a Peachtree Road Race Qualifier – is Saturday March 11, 2023 beginning at 7:00am! (Registration for the AJC Peachtree Road Race opens March 15, 2023)
We thank each of you for helping us navigate and survive the challenges our grass root events have faced since Covid. We donated $2500 to the South Cobb Booster Club (your amazing volunteers) in support of their athletic programs in 2022!!
Now that the Silver Comet 10k has been recertified utilizing the trail extension sidewalk instead of Floyd Road we hope to grow to former numbers in 2024! We continue to be the flattest and the fastest 10k in the metro! Come snag your best AJC Peachtree Road Race qualifying time!
- Refunds/Deferrals: No refunds (per signed waiver when registering) and no deferrals. If you want the option com offers insurance at the time of registration.
- Race Day Registration: Online registration will close Thursday night at midnight. You may register in person- $40 cash – at the number pickup on Thursday (see next bullet point) and race day starting at 6:00 am. Registration form to print HERE.
- Packet Pick Up: Number pick up will be Thursday March 9 from 4:30p to 6:30p – at the Mableton Kroger up on the sidewalk near the pharmacy entrance – 4875 Floyd Road Mableton GA 30126. Number pickup will begin at 6:00am race day in the lower parking lot (adjacent to the gas station) of Kroger – 4875 Floyd Road – but please make every attempt to pick up early because I will be the only person there handing out numbers.
- Altered Race Waiver: Please print and fill out the Waiver HERE! It is required to pick up your number.
- Police: THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Due to limited size of race there will be no police – no closing the road or trail + road intersections. The race starts on the trail extension sidewalk ( in front of the Wendys) – across the street from Kroger. Runners MUST stay on the sidewalk for the first .75 mile down to Wisteria, yield to traffic on Wisteria, and obey all traffic crossings on Floyd Road, and on the trail. Once you turn onto the Silver Comet Trail off Brookwood there are two road crossings – at approx mile 2 at Floyd Road and at approx 2.5 miles at Hurt Road. You are responsible for running the course as you would if you were on one of your normal runs on your own. The waiver linked above is required for participants to sign stating they understand and assume any and all risks!
- Start – Timing: The race starts at 7:00am. As we have done the last three years – the start line mat will be set up on the sidewalk across the street from Kroger. Please cross Floyd at the NickaJack and Floyd road intersection (The crosswalk at the Kroger fuel and Walgreens) to avoid your timing chip from duplicate reads. Wait at the Regions Bank to be directed to start line. Please stay away from the start mat protected by cones. It will be a mass start. There will be chalk paint arrows marking the left on wisteria – the right on brookwood and the right on the trail. Results will be posted live from the finish line as always.
- Peachtree Qualification: YES, if you run the official course during the specified time, you CAN use your time for Peachtree Qualification. The course was re-certified this week.
- Awards & Shirts: Top 3 Overall and top 3 Master custom LillieGlass awards will be awarded to those who run the official course, based on chip time. All finishers receive t-shirt, homemade jelly or preserves, and finisher Medal.
- Parking: Parking is allowed in the Kroger and Publix parking lots (4875 Floyd Road / NickaJack Road) – away from the stores – however, we recommend you be dropped off / picked up at the end – carpool! Due to limited size of the race there will be no shuttles from the finish line (Mavell Road) back to Kroger, and no set up at the start line. T-shirts and post race goodies will be available at the finish line! If you park at the finish line please park at the School and not inside the trail head parking lot.
- Start and Finish Line Addresses: The start line address is: On the trail extension sidewalk across from Mableton Kroger: 4875 Floyd Road, Mableton, GA 30126. The finish line address is: Silver Comet Trail Head: Mavell Road – at deadend past Nickajack Elementary School (4555 Mavell Road SE), Smyrna, GA 30082. Please remember the trail head is still operational and the trail is not closed – do not block the parking lot. You may PARK, arrange pick up or carpool from the Nickajack Elementary School bus lot. Please do not park in the Silver Comet Trail Head parking lot
- The Route – Course : Please look at the course map and make sure you are familiar with the route. Floyd Road ON THE SIDEWALK down to left on Wisteria, right on Brookwood, right onto the Silver Comet Trail. There will be two road crossings once you turn onto the trail, one at Floyd and one at Hicks Road. No police and no road closings.
- Water Stops: We have our awesome South Cobb High School coaches and a soccer team students volunteering for each water stop – At mile 2 and 5. Bottled water, bananas and other goodies will be available at the finish line. Remember that part of your registration fee supports the South Cobb sports booster club!!
- The trailhead bathrooms are open and available for use. The trailheads are marked on the course map.
- Photographer: Race day photos by our hired photographer and volunteers are available for free download and will be posted HERE
We look forward to sharing the beautiful Silver Comet Trail with you, and properly celebrating our 25th Annual Silver Comet 10k !!!!
Mark your calendars now and sign up for the 23rd Silver Comet Half Marathon and 11th Annual Marathon on October 29, 2023! (Registration is open on Active.com)
I’ll see you running!