The Silver Comet Half Marathon and Full Marathon race day is almost here! We just want to remind runners of a few things:
1) This year packet pick-up will be morning of race only. We apologize for any inconvenience, our wonderful Race Director (Dana Greene) is in grad school and has midterms this week so a Friday packet pick-up was not feasible. Please arrive early to plan for this, our race volunteers will be working very hard to get all runners their packets in a quick, timely manner. Thank you for your understanding!
2) T-Shirts will be handed out at the finish line ONLY, you must have your race bib to pick up shirt!
3) Floyd Road is under construction! Please be aware that there are no sidewalks between the Mable House Arts Center & Kroger/Floyd Middle. Please ARRIVE EARLY, carpool, obey all parking attendants, and use caution. A lane will be closed between Kroger and the Mable House Arts Center from 5:30am to 7:30am before race start for participants parking at offsite locations who will be walking to the start.This mile section is not smooth, may have groove or dips- please use caution & arrive early to avoid any trouble reaching the start. See details on parking, shuttles, mile markers, finish line, portalets, & cautions here.
4) Gear check will be available to Full Marathoners ONLY!
5) Since you are going the distance (26.2 miles, to be exact) we will have a special VIP tent at the finish line area, ESPECIALLY FOR YOU!
6) PLEASE NOTE: Energy gels will be given at the beginning of the race, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not drop gel packaging on the road or Silver Comet Trail. Trash cans will be at water stations where these can be disposed of. We will not have geld as a handout next year if littering is a problem.
This year Silver Comet Races presents our 2nd Annual Full Marathon!
Proceeds benefit Cobb County Parks & Recreation’s Natural Resources Management Programs & other local charities.
Full Marathon is under a strict 5:30 time limit because of the need to close the course at a specific time. We strongly advise runners to make sure they can finish within the 5:30 time limit.
For detailed location information and directions, use this Google map
as a supplemental source. Water stop info, turn-around info, shuttle info, spectator cheering area info, and start/finish line info is all included!
To register for the Silver Comet Marathon, please visit www.Active.com.
Full Marathon registration is currently not available in-store.
Pre-registration will end Wednesday, October 23, 2013 on www.Active.com.
Packet pickup location TBD. Please check back for updates!
The beginning of the race — first half-mile or so — is through a construction zone on Floyd Road.
The Cobb County Department of Transportation will be assisting racers by closing a lane of traffic that leads from the parking lots to the race start, but runners should be careful as the roads are newly paved.
Please Arrive Early for the Race, Park at the Mable House or Floyd Middle School, And Bring A Headlamp to Avoid Any Issues In The Dark!
Please Carefully Follow Police Instructions, and Our Race Will Run Smoothly as Always!
Packet Pickup starts at 5:30am on race day. Location TBD.
Race Start Time: Saturday, October 26, 2013 at 7:45am
Post Race Activities:
After-race food and beverages will be provided by Kroger, Dunkin Donuts, Atlanta Bread Co., and Get Fit-Atlanta.
Buses will take all race finishers, volunteers, & spectators back to the Mable House Art Center after the race.
All racers must take shuttles back to their vehicles after the race!
Spectators have designated cheering areas, the addresses of which are posted below:
1. At the intersection of Seaboard Avenue / Seaboard Street.
2. At the trail head restroom parking lot, near Riverside Church of God on Florence Road.
Finish: Silver Comet Bike Depot & Trail Head at Floyd Road.
The Finish Line Celebration will be in the lower parking at the Silver Comet Depot Trail Head. All pre-registered Marathon participants will receive a finisher medal, either a Zorrell technical t-shirt or a long-sleeve race t-shirt, & a 24oz Get Fit-Atlanta bike bottle.
5. Directions and Parking:
1. Take I-285 W on the top end perimeter, exit on Atlanta Road.
2. Turn northwest (heading outside the perimeter).
3. Go two stoplights & turn left onto the four lane Cumberland Parkway, which turns into the East-West Connector.
4. Drive ~6 miles and turn left onto Floyd Rd.
5. Parking is available at Floyd Middle School on the left ~2 miles down Floyd Rd.
The Mable House is .8 miles past the parking area on the left. Drive time from I-285/Atlanta Rd is approximately 10-15 minutes.
Arrive early! All participants must walk to race start!
Parking for race participants will be available at the Mable House or Floyd Middle School.
Parking is not authorized anywhere else — if you choose to park elsewhere, please note all posted parking restrictions and stay away from local store fronts as you could be towed.
The Mable House is a historic site. In order to help keep the grounds preserved, please obey all instructions provided by Cobb County Police Explorers and carpool if possible.
Do not park at the post office, library, or near any business – YOU WILL BE TOWED!!! If you are late, we will be gone to the finish line – no one stays behind at the Mable House.
6. Course Map and Information:
The Full Marathon is USATF certified, and is fully acceptable as a Boston qualifier. USATF Certification #GA12126WC.
The Full Marathon is limited to 350 participants. Spots are still available for 2013.
Race day registration: $95 for Half, $130 for Full
8. Fundraising Efforts:
In past years, we’ve raised over $3200 additional funds for our volunteer school booster clubs. These cross country and track team clubs from Campbell, Pebblebrook and South Cobb High Schools work our water stops, mile splits, and start and finish lines.
But this year, we’re also working with the Cobb County Fire Department and Police Department Explorers. These youth learn valuable leadership skills, build confidence, and explore a possible career in our law enforcement institutions! Some of our donations fund trips for youth Explorers.
At race events, we also accept gently-used running gear, such as technical shirts and running shoes as donations. These donations will help support local youth who might not otherwise have a chance to run.
Last year, we were able to award 70 pairs of running shoes to local cross country and track teams. These kids wouldn’t have been able to afford shoes otherwise!
Join www.Getfit-Atlanta.com today!
Half/Full Marathon, Triathlon, Cycling, Training
10k, 13.1, 26.2, 70.3
Winter Season Training July 2012- April 2013
Cobb * Kennesaw *
© 2013 Get Fit Atlanta – All Unauthorized use of this content is strictly prohibited!